Last night for dinner Ly + Alan had the best pizza ever. White pizza on homemade pizza crust. Seriously so good. You should make this for dinner tonight. It was easy, fast, tasty and healthy. In fact, 1/4 of the pizza (2 lrg slices) has about 220 calories.
So without further ado, here's the recipe*:
2 1/2 cups all purpose or bread flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 teaspoons sea salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
a pinch of powder milk (optional)
**you can also substitute some wheat flour for the all purpose - about 1 cup wheat, 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour**
1. Combine the flour, yeast, and salt in a food processor. Turn the machine on and add 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons of the oil through the feed tube.
2. Process for about 30 seconds. If it is sticky add a bit of all-purpose flour. Add more water a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture forms a ball and is sticky to the touch. Never add more than 1/4 cup of water.
3. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead by hand for a few seconds to form a smooth, round dough ball. Put the remaining olive oil in a bowl, turn the dough ball in it, and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in the fridge overnight. This allows the flavor to develop.
4. Preheat the oven to 500F. Roll or lightly press the dough into a flat round lightly flouring the work surface and the dough as necessary. Let it sit for a few minutes to rest. Put olive oil on a pizza pan and shape the dough on the pan.
5. Top the pizza with your choice of toppings. Suggested: sprinkle with 1 T olive oil, 2 T chopped garlic, chopped fresh rosemary, fresh basil, fresh reduced fat mozzarella cheese, fresh tomatoes, and 2 T fresh Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
*adapted a bit from Mark Bittman's awesome cookbook, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian